What is worship?
Worship (the Greek word proskuneo) means “to bow down and kiss.”
What is praise?
Praise (the Greek word eulogeos) means “to bless, speak well of.”
Why do we dance?
We dance to worship the Lord (Psalms 149:3, 150:4). We dance to praise the Lord for joy and victory (I Samuel 18:6, II Samuel 6:14, Judges 11:34).
Why do we shout?
We shout before the Lord in joy and gladness (Psalm 47:1, Psalm 5:11, Psalm 35:27)
Why do we lift our hands?
We lift our hands to bless the Lord (Psalm 134:2, I Timothy 2:8, Psalms 119:48, 63:4).
Why do we leap?
We leap to praise the Lord (Acts 3:8, St. Luke 6:23).
Why do we prophesy?
To edify (build up in the faith), exhort or comfort (II Chronicles 20:14-17,21; I Corinthians 14:3,4).
Why do we speak in tongues and interpret?
To interpret the message from God in an unknown language into the given language of the local congregation (I Corinthians 14:5, 13-25).
Apostolic Statment of Faith
- That salvation comes only through the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. That Jesus was crucified, buried and raised from the dead. That Jesus ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as our intercessor.
- We believe that all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory and that repentance is required by God and is necessary for the forgiveness of sins.
- We believe that water baptism by immersion must be in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ for remission of sins.
- We believe that holiness is God's standard of living for His people.
- We belive that speaking with other tongues as the spirit of God gives in utterance is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
- We believe that divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
- We believe that the Lord's supper should be commemorated.
- We believe that the resurrection and rapture of the true church of God is imminent.
- We believe that Jesus is God incarnated in flesh.
- We believe in the final judgement of the living and dead and the final establishment of a new heaven and earth wherein dwelleth righteousness.
The creeds are statements of our basic beliefs about God. Greater Highway uses two creeds: The Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed. The Apostles’ Creed is the ancient creed of Baptism; it is used in the church’s daily worship to recall our Baptismal Covenant. The Nicene Creed is the creed of the universal Church and is used basically at the Eucharist (Holy Communion).
The Apostle's Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
The Nicene Creed
I believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, And all things visible and invisible: And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God; begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of very God; Begotten, not made; being of one substance with the Father; By Whom all things were made: Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, And was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, And was made man: And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried: And the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures: And ascended into heaven, And sitteth at the right hand of the Father: And He shall come again with glory, to judge both the quick and the dead; Whose Kingdom shall have no end. And I believe in the Holy Ghost, The Lord, and Giver of Life, Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; Who spake by the Prophets: And I believe one Catholic and Apostolic Church: I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins: And I look for the Resurrection of the dead: And the life of the world to come. Amen.